Online Proctored Testing (OPT) allows candidates, once scheduled, to take CCO written exam(s) online using their own internet-connected computer from almost anywhere, 24/7/365! Benefits of OPT include:
- Greater flexibility in scheduling and rescheduling
- Immediate score reporting*
- No late application or rescheduling fees
* Preliminary results will be available immediately. All results and test administration are subject to review and approval following standard testing protocols.
What Does OPT Look Like?
Candidates take exams via a computer in a private, well-lit room with a door and that is void of any materials (i.e., electronic devices, books, papers, etc.) on the table or desk.
Exams that require supplements (e.g., load charts) or calculators have these available on-screen. In place of scratch paper, candidates may use a physical whiteboard/dry erase board up to 8.5 in. x 11 in. or an on-screen whiteboard that is built into the exam.
CCO has prepared a video demonstrating how the testing platform works:
Through the myCCO Portal, candidates have access to a demo exam at no cost. This demo exam is intended to provide a test simulation experience. Candidates have the opportunity to familiarize themselves with how to navigate through the exam and utilize the on-screen tools, including:
*Links go to videos for each topic; all of these videos are included in the complete OPT demo video linked above.
OPT Computer Requirements
OPT exams may be taken on any laptop or desktop computer that meets minimum technical requirements. In order to test via OPT, the computer must be equipped with:
Want to check to see if your computer meets requirements?
- Download the required Guardian browser. This browser is required to take your CCO exam securely:
- Once you’ve downloaded and installed the Guardian browser, open it and paste this URL into the Guardian browser to test your equipment: go.proctoru.com/testitout. This must be done from within the Guardian browser to check your equipment accurately. (In some instances, you may see a pop-up indicating an extension download is required; this is NOT required. Please click Test your system without the latest extension to continue.)
Note that OPT is not supported on smartphones, tablets/iPads, or Chromebooks.
Fees for all exams as well as any related fees can be found at www.nccco.org/fees.
How to Apply
- Go to my.ccocert.org and login or register for an account.
- Once logged in, submit an online application and pay for the exam(s).
- Submit your application no less than two business days prior to testing.
- Once your application has been processed, you will receive a scheduling authorization email. Exams you’ve been approved to take will show in the myCCO portal and mobile app as Upcoming Exams.
- Scheduling will be completed in the myCCO Portal by clicking “Schedule or Manage My EOT/OPT Exams.”
- Once scheduled, you will receive a CCO appointment confirmation.
Candidates may schedule exams at their convenience by logging onto their myCCO Portal and clicking “Schedule or Manage My EOT/OPT Exams.” As long as there is availability, exams may be scheduled in as little as 15 minutes prior to desired test time but may be scheduled up to six months prior to testing.
Preparing Your Computer and Test Room before Your Exams
To have the best testing experience possible, there are a few things you want to do before test day, including download the Guardian browser, test your equipment, and identify an acceptable space to take your exam. There are also some things you will need on-hand the day of your exam, as well as some things you won’t. Visit the How to Prepare for OPT page before your test day so you, your equipment, and your space are fully prepared.
Rescheduling, Cancellation, or Withdrawal
- Candidates may reschedule or cancel their exam appointment at no cost up to 30 minutes prior to the exam start time.
- Cancellation of an exam appointment in done online by logging into the myCCO Portal and click “Schedule or Manage My EOT/OPT Exams.”
- Candidates who scheduled testing through OPT are able to cancel and reschedule through EOT if they so choose, at no additional cost. (See EOT for scheduling instructions.)
- Candidates who decide not to take exams, or do not test within six months of application submission will forfeit their fees.