NCCCO-Developed Industry Resources
In the 25 years since its inception, the National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (NCCCO) has developed numerous safety resources, performed research studies, and compiled valuable information for the industry. This area of the website provides a central repository for this information to facilitate access to these resources by those involved with load handling equipment safety.
This page provides links to NCCCO-developed webinars, reference manuals, safety resources, videos, surveys, and other information useful for those involved with lifting activities.
- Power Line Safety Card—NCCCO makes available this quick reference guide to staying safe when operating near power lines.
- NCCCO Operator Experience Log Book—This convenient, pocket-sized log book features one-week-to-a-view pages for the tracking of jobs, locations, equipment used, daily hours, and other information during a 12-month period. The book also has space to record personal information and CCO certifications, as well as emergency medical data and contacts.
- NCCCO Guide to OSHA’s Personnel Certification and Qualification Requirements v0913—NCCCO prepared this guide to help employers and those involved with lifting activities more easily understand their obligations under the new OSHA rules regarding cranes and derricks.
- This study, The Effects of Calculator Use During NCCCO Testing, concludes that, while the use of calculators would not be appropriate for use on basic math questions such as those contained in CCO Core exams, their use would be supportable on load chart calculations used on CCO Specialty exams. As a result basic electronic calculators have been permitted for use on certain CCO written exams since July 2, 2012.
- CCO Articulating Crane Reference Manual (08/22)—This reference manual was created to assist candidates preparing to take the CCO Articulating Crane Operator certification examinations. The information contained in this manual was compiled by members of the NCCCO Articulating Crane Task Force.
- NCCCO Rigger Reference Manual (06/19)—This manual was created to assist candidates preparing to take the CCO rigger certification examinations. The information contained in this manual has been compiled from partial sections of ASME B30 standards (with written permission) and the prevailing OSHA regulations for rigging practices. The NCCCO Rigger Reference Manual includes the full NCCCO Rigger Reference Booklet (below).
- NCCCO Rigger Reference Booklet (04/14)—This booklet includes rigging hardware, sling, load block, and other capacity information that may be used in CCO rigger certification exams.
- NCCCO Signalperson Reference Manual (04/18)—This reference manual was created to assist candidates preparing to take the CCO Signalperson certification examinations. The information contained in this manual has been compiled from a number of different sources.
- NCCCO Tower Crane Reference Manual (03/14)—This manual has been developed as a reference source for candidates preparing to take the CCO Tower Crane Operator certification exam. The materials contained within provide technical information, specifications, load charts, and general information regarding tower cranes (not specific to any single manufacturer). None of the information is to be used for the actual erecting, dismantling, climbing, operating, or maintenance of any tower crane; such information must be obtained from the manufacturer’s operating manual specific to the type of crane involved.